Today we have author Beth D. Carter visiting. Welcome!
What would you like to tell readers about yourself?
* I hate washing dishes but I love cooking. I hate washing clothes but I love wearing them. I try to write characters who aren’t cookie cutters, ones who are full of angst but where love redeems them. I push myself to write complicated situations that I have no idea how to resolve, forcing me to think outside the box. I hate people who don’t pick up their dog’s crap in public places and I really hate people who are rude and condescending. I especially hate discrimination in all and every form. The perfect birthday presents are gift certificates to bookstores. And I love to hear from readers. I’m really easy to find on Facebook or Twitter.
Find Beth D. Carter here…
Amazon Author Page | Blog | Bookbub | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
A look into…
~ Behind the Book ~
What would you like to tell readers about yourself?
Originally from Missouri, I live in Las Vegas, Nevada. By day I’m a pharmacy tech and by night I try to tap out some words on a page.
What book are you going to tell us about today? Is it part of a series? If so, what’s the order the books should be read in?
My book, Untraceable, is the second book in the World of Danger series. The first is titled Invincible and I have a third planned for 2020.
How’d you/your muse come up with this story?
That’s a funny story. I had originally wrote the beginning of it for a different series, but that never really got off the ground. It was supposed to an A-Team storyline, with four mercenaries kicked out of the Army and now fight for the innocent. Only I never really connected with the characters I had in mind. Luckily, I never got rid of it, and shifted those characters into this series, and this time…it worked!
Describe the hero in five words.
JD Harlan the Second is: focused, hardheaded, secretive, born leader
Describe the heroine in five words.
Mae Sawyer is: bookworm, unexciting, ordinary, very adaptable
Who’s your favorite character in the book & why?
Mae, because she’s me. I hope to many readers she’s very relatable because she has no other special ability than the memory of the books she’s read.
What’s your favorite line in the story?
I have a few favorites in this story. Here’s one section I think is pretty funny:
* “Why don’t you stay here while I-”
* A second later she had latched onto his arm. “No way. Where you go I go.”
* He tried to extract his arm, but she held fast, like a boa constrictor strangling its prey. “Mae. Let me go.”
* “No way, Jose. Haven’t you ever watched horror movies? The girl left behind always dies.”
~ Blurb ~
* Mae Sawyer has a huge crush on her boss, JD Harlan, but he doesn’t even know she exists. She blends into the background of her data entry job, living for glimpses of him walking through the office. Then one night, everything changes. While working late, she’s caught up in a plot to kidnap him…and gets taken as well.
* They wake up in an underground bunker. No electricity. No way to be traced. Alone, they have to rely on each other to stay strong until their captor decides their fate. Danger lurks outside the bunker, waiting for a moment of vengeance.
~ Excerpt ~
* “Everything was well planned,” he muttered, coming to a stop in front of her. She lifted her head to look up at him. “Except it was set up for one person. You were unexpected, which makes me wonder why they took you instead of leaving you behind.”
* “Sympathy, of course,” she said immediately. “Collateral damage. You won’t do anything to escape if it means leaving me behind. Clearly I’m not made for hiking through a proverbial jungle so I’m your weakest link.”
* He looked her over, from head to toe. She wore comfortable business attire complete with sensible, low-heeled pumps. Definitely not made for a quick get-a-way if it came to that. But something earnest in her eyes caught his attention…a spark of fierceness that her drab clothing and persona tried to hide. A little voice in his head told him there was a lot more to Mae Sawyer.
* “I disagree with that,” he said thoughtfully. “You are not the weak link here.”
* She smiled and placed a hand on his arm, staring up at him with those remarkable eyes that managed punch him in his chest. Big. Brown. Absolutely guileless. When had he ever met a woman whose thoughts were reflected in her eyes? Unexpectedly, desire slammed into his gut and he had an urge to lean down and kiss her. He wanted to know if she tasted as sweet as she looked, which boggled his mind. He tended to date women who knew the score. Females who didn’t expect anything more than a good dinner and good sex. Long nights at the office, even longer nights on assignment, and a constant threat of danger hanging over his head tended to be isolating. His lifestyle and work commitments didn’t allow for relationships…or emotions, and he instinctively knew Mae wasn’t the love-em-and-leave-em type of woman.
* So instead of doing want he wanted, which was kissing her until they were both senseless, he took a few steps away from her and took a deep breath to get his hormones under control. He had to force his mind into thinking like a security analyst again.
Buy Untraceable here…
Amazon – US | Evernight Publishing | Smashwords
Thank you for joining us here today, Beth D. Carter! It was a pleasure getting to know you and your story.